Taking care of an elderly with cancer or any chronic disease requires a lot of patience and love. Setting aside essential things in life to take care of a sick person can be extremely rewarding. There are certain simple things we do that can benefit an elderly dealing with cancer. However, it can be challenging as well. Below are some tips for taking care of the elderly dealing with cancer.
1. Plan ahead – By planning ahead, you can be able to solve some issues before they become emergency.
2. Be prepared for an emergency – Elderly dealing with cancer need a lot of care. We took tips from this guide which introduces the reader on how to provide elder care at home in Boca Raton. Hence it would be wise to have an emergency plan. Have emergency phone numbers, and probably a home first-aid kit.
3. Medications – Make sure they are taking all their medications. Today, several technologies can help you track that. For example, there are drug boxes that light up when its time for medicine.
4. Maintain a sense of humor – cancer is a scary, severe disease especially for the elderly. Hence, laughter can be the best medicine. Therefore, try to maintain a sense of humor by sharing jokes, watching a funny movie, reading books and recalling funny memories.
5. Keep the elderly active – exercises can help to reduce some pain experienced by cancer patients. Activities also offer numerous health benefits and prevent unnecessary accidents.
6. Always respect them – It is essential to be respectful to the elderly. Even though they are sick and aged, they have ideas and emotions.
7. Cheer them to volunteer – According to several studies, elderly persons who volunteer are healthier and happier than the rest. It can even be more beneficial to those who have chronic conditions. When an older adult feels needed and valued as he or she volunteers, it improves his or her health and mental well being.
8. Be prepared for resistance – resistance is common challenge people face when taking care of the elderly. Usually, they feel the physical and mental loss, loss of independence and frightened. This may cause them to resist in appreciating your care.
9. Access the care needed – determine the kind of attention the elderly needs. Research for the services and assistance the senior with cancer will require.
10. Talk to the elderly when relaxed – to make it easier for you both, always have a conversation when you are both calm and relaxed. You will also be able to be open and honest and listen to one another. Try to be respectful and listen to their wishes.…